Friday, October 16, 2009

First Foray Into The Massive Blog-o-Sphere

So this is my first attempt at a fitness/nutrition/workout log type-blog; at this point, I'm unsure of what the main body of content will be, or how frequently they'll happen.  I tend to visit a lot of well written and frequently updated blogs, so the bar (in my mind) is set high.

At the very least, I plan on logging my workouts, numbers, and more entertainingly, my thoughts.  I'd expect a lot of re-canned nutrition content, since that entails most of my e-surfing.

***Note:  I'm currently doing my own version of Crossfit Strength Bias, in case your wondering "Why the f*** is Mike doing his own thing???". No, I'm not "better" than the CFLA wod; in fact, our programming rocks, as our client's regular progress can attest to, and the daily CF Lethbridge WOD usually scares the shit out of me.  I have been attempting to work around a FUBAR'd left shoulder, and would like to get stronger. Yup, it's that simple.  When I can, I try and do the CF Leth WOD; after a session or two of coaching, I'm usually chomping at the bit to try it.  More on that in later posts.

Today's Workout, 1PM, CF Lethbridge
Power Clean
95# x many times, worked on full extension.  Did some hang PC and Tall cleans
135# x 3
155# x 3
175# x 3, felt easy, strong, caught high.
185# x 3.  Used to be a tough 1RM for me, fairly easy PC now.  Catch is lower, though.
195# x 0,0,1 Fawk.  Expected this to be easy, and hoped for a 205#PR.  Eventually power cleaned this up, brutally low catch.  Ugly as shit.

Split Jerk
135# x3
145# x3
155# x3
Easy-peasy; did this to just test the shoulder.  It's been surprisingly great lately, and I've been pushing the envelope, so to speak, on trying to get it a-throbbin' again.  Last week's adventure back to wall-balls did it, along with some strict OHP, but for whatever reason, PJ and SJ don't seem to affect it much.  Left trapezius aches due to muscle guarding, but whatever.

Warning and Disclaimer:  I'm going to bitch and moan about my shoulder a lot.  Oh, you'll hear about it, trust me.  Get used to it.

Met-Con
5 rounds for time of:
10 C2B pullups
10 Box Jumps
10 GHD situps
8:47. GHDs are, as always, the limiting factor. A monkey could write a freakin' bestselling novel in the time it takes me to do 10 GHDs. Regardless, no fractioning on the chest-to-bar (C2B) pullups or box jumps---or GHDs, but they are slow it might as well be considered fractioning. Gotta get faster at those box jumps, they have been a constant nemesis of mine since day 1, and I really have no excuse, being a tall skinny bastard.

On the Menu
NorCal Margarita

Made famous by the folks from Crossfit Norcal (Robb and Nicki),
this Paleo-friendly highball consists of:
1 oz white tequila.  Preferably, Silver Patron.  Tonight will be Jose Cuervo Classico.  I'll report back on this.
Bunch o' ice
Shwack of soda water
Slice or two of lime




Simple, yet classy.  Clean, yet crisp.  Sexy, but not whorish.  Ok, I'm done.  I'll be consuming a plethora of these tonight with Sean'o + company.


Comment, all ye thousands upon thousands of readers, comment.