Monday, September 6, 2010

Henry Rollins vs McDs, Tea Science, Education Update

First off, a short, hilarious, but oh-so-true rant from Henry Rollins.  Just to warn you, there's a few F-bombs.  Hide the children, THEN turn the volume up:



Effects of green tea, black tea and Rooibos tea on angiotensin-converting enzyme and nitric oxide in healthy volunteers.

Department of Medical and Health Sciences, Division of Drug Research/Pharmacology, Faculty of Health Sciences, Linköping University, SE-581 85 Linköping, Sweden. ingrid.persson@liu.se

Abstract

OBJECTIVE: Tea has been reported to reduce cardiovascular mortality, but the underlying mechanisms are largely unknown. The aim of the current project was to investigate the effect of green tea (Japanese Sencha), black tea (Indian Assam B.O.P.) and Rooibos tea (South Africa) on angiotensin-converting enzyme (ACE) and nitric oxide (NO).
DESIGN: Seventeen healthy volunteers received a single oral dose of 400 ml green tea, black tea or Rooibos tea in a randomized, three-phase, crossover study. ACE activity and NO concentration were measured (at 0, 30, 60 and 180 min) in all phases. ACE activity was analysed by means of a commercial radioenzymatic assay. Nitrite was analysed as a marker of NO concentration. In addition, ACE genotype was determined using a PCR method.
RESULTS: Oral intake of a single dose of Rooibos tea significantly inhibited ACE activity after 30 min (P < 0.01) and after 60 min (P < 0.05). A significant inhibition of ACE activity was seen with green tea for the ACE II genotype 30 min after intake of the tea (P < 0.05) and for the ACE ID genotype 60 min after intake (P < 0.05). A significant inhibition of ACE activity was also seen with Rooibos tea for the ACE II genotype 60 min after intake (P < 0.05). No significant effect on NO concentration was seen.
CONCLUSIONS: These results suggest that green tea and Rooibos tea may have cardiovascular effects through inhibition of ACE activity.
PMID: 20144258 [PubMed - indexed for MEDLINE]

My Thoughts: By no means is this a performance enhancing effect; had there been a rise in NO, then maybe.  The ACE-inhibitory effect (ACE inhibitors are commonly prescribed blood-pressure lowering medications) could have potential implications in the PWO recovery periods, but that's just speculation on my part.  Nonetheless, it's just more ammo and reason why one should include various types of tea into their diet.  Personally, I'm a huge fan of Rooibos, Green, and White tea.  From the ECGC, anti-cancer, thermogenic, anti-hypertensive, and anxiolytic properties, one really has no reason NOT to drink some form daily.  I love my java, but tea just has too many benefits to ignore.

Education Update

Despite the fact I just finished up OPT's Nutrition cert, there's some pretty cool things on the horizon for the coaches at CFLA.  The education never stops!
  • Coming up at the beginning of October, Larry Mather from the Alberta Weightlifting Association will be putting on a NCCP (National Coaching Certification Program) Level-1 Olympic Lifting certification; I'm crazy stoked for this, as I absolutely LOVE Oly lifting, but it's also one of the most complex things to teach clients.
  • In November, we have a local physiotherapist coming to CFLA to do a certification in Gray Cook's Functional Movement Screen; I already have some training regarding this, and utilize it yearly with the fire department physical fitness testing. While all the coaches at CFLA are excellent in spotting dysfunction and/or restricted movement, this will be another extremely valuable tool in the toolbox to improve our athletes and identify weakness and potential injury locations.
  • I'm currently on ANOTHER nutrition journey---this time, with John Berardi, PhD.  I had started this a while back, but had to put it on the backburner to prepare for OPT.  The Precision Nutrition Certification will be an excellent adjunct to the OPT cert; I've been following Berardi's material for years, and have never been steered wrong.  He's counseled everyone from Olympic athletes to NHL players to UFC fighters in the realm of athletic performance related to nutrition.  It'll take me a long time to tackle this one, but it'll be well worth it.
Various Training

Aug 23rd, CFLA, 1PM
Squat Clean
Worked up to a heavy single@215#.  Ugly form, but tied my PR from May.

AMRAP 15 Min
3 HSPU
6 Pullups
9 KTE
12 KBS (53#)
7rd +3 +6 +2.
Aug 30th, CFLA, 1PM
High Bar Back Squat
275#x1, 295#x0.  Got stuck halfway OUT of the hole, so I feel 295# is doable.  305# is my low bar PR, but it's been a while since I've work on my squat.  I'll be using 295# for Wendler's 5/3/1.  I wouldn't say my squat is a "goat", but it sure ain't my strong point.  Yet.

10 Rounds for Time:
3 Squat Cleans (105#)
5 Box Jumps (24")
5:14.  Fortunate enough to have Coach Fyfe join me at 1PM; I made the mistake of taking a couple of greedy breaths on the 3rd round, and never caught up to him again, as he came in with a wicked sub-5min time.

Aug 31st, CFLA, 1PM
OHP
Worked up to a heavy single of 135#, failed at 140#.  Very, VERY happy with this, despite the pathetic weight; my shoulder strength is improving, and my shoulder pain, or lack thereof, is good.  It gets sore after a workout like this, but it seems to disappear quick.  I'll take it.

"Annie"
50-40-30-20-10
Double Unders
Situps (anchored + abmat)
6:10.  Tripped up once on the set of 40, and situps seemed faster.  Gotta bust that 6 min mark someday.

Sept 1st, Firehall #1, 10:30AM
30s on/30s off, 5 Rounds
Med Ball Slams(20#), Renegade Rows (45#DBs), Plyometric Lunges, Push Press (35#DBs), Med Ball Situps(20#)
Myself, KH, and SG tackled this one.  After, KH and myself hit the pads for 5x3min each.  I'm getting faster and smoother with the hand combos, something that I totally lacked from my traditional martial arts background.  Jab-Cross-Bodyshot-Hook-Uppercut, goodnight!

Note:  I was seriously crushed for the next few days; Annie seems to do this, for whatever odd reason. A few shitty nightshifts over the long weekend didn't help, either.

Sept 6th, CFLA, 1PM
No classes today, but had a gym full o' friends: Team G, "The Body", Jake, PB, Al and Mich.
HB Back Squat, 5Rep, using Wendler's Percentages:
1RM295# x 90%=265.5, 75%=199, 80%=212, 85%=225
135#x10, 185#x5, 185#x5
75%(used 205#) x5, 80%(used 215#)x5, 80%(225#)x AMRAP, 8 reps.

10-9-8-7-6-5-4-3-2-1 of:
KBS, 70#
Pullups
5:46.  Had Heather, Cory, Jake, and Patrick join me, which just rocks.  I'm normally fighting myself, mentally, during my solo metcons; having folks sweating, swinging, and flying around me is like a contagious energy. Love it.