Monday, November 2, 2009

Heavy Weight. Thank F#$*!!!

Carbs are addicting. It's true. They stimulate your brain to release endorphin-like substances and neurotransmitters like serotonin; psychologically, you want more. Physically, carbohydrate consumption, specifically large amounts of high GI, causes post-prandial reactive hyperinsulinemia; basically, all that excess insulin circulating around signals your brain to tell you to eat more. We're wired this way as a survival instinct, but in this day and age, no one is fighting to survive.  So it turns us modern day humans into fat pieces of diseased crap.  Yeah, harsh.  But true.




Bread.  Like freakin' crystal meth.  Evil.















But what about bumper plates?  Are they addicting?  I can't give you a scientific reason if they are or aren't, but I tell 'yah, it felt pretty goddamn good to chuck some rubber and steel around today.

Front Squats

45#x10
95#x5
135#x3
185#x3
215#x3.  So far, so good.  F-ing knot beside my right scapula that's been pissing me off for a week.
235#x3.  Greedy with a 10lbs PR, but busted it out.  3rd rep was sketchy, but I'll take it.

For reference:  Oct 12, 2009, 225#x3.  230#x3 on Feb 22nd, and 245#x2 on March 27.  I'm pretty sure I have a 250# 1RM, and I'm basically back to where I was at the beginning of the year.  Yay me.  And Yay Eva-T, sexy Crossfitting She-Beast:




MetCon

15-12-9 of:
FS, 135#
Pullups
A crushing 6:16.  Crushing who?  Crushing ME.  I wanted to do a Fran template of 21-15-9, but at the last second, a little voice said "You're an idiot.  Don't".  Thankfully, I listened, because belive you me, it wasn't the pullups.  My legs were GASSED from the previous front squats.  5 reps into the first set, I was like "holy hell....".  I had to fractionate the squats big time, and I wanted the pullups to take LONGER so I didn't have to pick that bar up again.  Pure crushage.  Pulmonary-edema-inducing crushage.   I haven't felt like that in a looooong time.

It was totally awesome.