Friday, December 4, 2009

Some Days, It Just Ain't There. Kinda Like Today.

First things first: I'm in a pissy mood, so you get no apology today for either profanity and/or bitterness.
First Things f-ing last:( that's from Reservoir Dogs, for those in the "know"):  There's a contest at the end of this post.  Don't be a tool and scroll down.  Just read it like a normal human being.

Pretty much my view from the front window:



Welcome to Alberta!  GFYS, Ma Nature.

Now, common sense would dictate that if one does not have to venture forth into this madness, one should not.  Well, while I normally make fun of people who lack common sense, and trust me, there's a plethora of 'em, I needed to work out.  Screw the weather.  I drive a 3/4 ton.

I realize I've dropped not-so-subtle hints at an inflammatory post about Crossfit cleverly entitled "The Things I Hate About Crossfit".  Patience, dear reader.  It'll happen.  Just not today.  I need to be focused for that doozy.

What happened today was, in no particular order: Failure, Insomnia, a PR?, Deep Conversation x2, a PR, and more Failure.  Too damn long for a blog title, so you get what you get.

CFLA, 1PM, Dec 4th.

OHS, 1RM

"Um, Mike, WTF?".  Yeah, I know.  But I *had* to try.  Walking in and seeing some fantastic numbers on the board (Kat, 170#.  Now certified fueled with BEAST!, Kyle, 200#, Ja-Hey-Zuss.  Dude weighs in at same weight I do, and Moah D and Fyfer at 209# and 205#, respectably.

So, can yah blame me?  Ok, fine.  But I tried, anyways.
95#x5
135#x1.  Hmm.  Is this supposed to feel this shitty?  I get a laugh from Coach Brandt.
155#x1  Better, in the pocket all the way.
175#x1 Ah yeah, no worries.  200# here I come.
185#x0 Failure to launch.  Couldn't lock it out from the heaving snatch balance (behind the neck push jerk), so it ended up coming down partially on my upper back and right arm.  Uncool.  Knurling + weight + gravity = bad shit happening to skin.

Throbbing shoulder, too, but this I expected.  175# I'll take.  For now.

FS, 3RM
135#x10
155#x3
185#x3
205#x3
225#x3
250#x0 wtf, I says WHAT THE F*$k??  Hmm.  Lets try that again.
250#x1 yeah, coach Brandt certified, but I'm pretty sure I wasn't low enough.  Damnit.

I did 245# for 3 on Nov....pfft, sometime after the 17th, Mr. Common Sense didn't write the date down.  250# should have been doable for 3, but it's now my 1RM.  Failure, but a PR?  I'll take it.  I had a sweet rack, elbows high, bar tight to the throat, but no dice.

MetCon
1000m row
21-15-9
Pullups
Back Extension.

Did the row in a lolly-gagging (wtf does that ACTUALLY mean, anyways???) 3:30, and threw in the towel.  It Just Ain't There Today.  3:30 is an ok 1:45/500m split, but FFS, it felt like GSP was roundhousing me in the liver the whole time.  45 pullups and 45 back extensions?  GTFO.  Fasted today, just coffee and coconut oil, but I can't blame it on that.  Felt much better on the same in the past.

Had some great convo with Coach Brandt and Ryno at different intervals, about different topics.  Love that kinda talk.  That's when you really get to know a person, no bullshit----just two guys talking, about real shit that matters.  Yup, you're right: Had To Be There.

Speaking of Ryno, I watched him bust an EASY 210# OHS.  I mean easy.  Tried 215# but pulled a Mikey, except dumped it correctly.  Dude has way more in the tank, I'm talking 230-ish.  Freaky.

Contest Time, Kiddies!!



Winner gets some certified Lethbridge Fire Department Schwag.  Schwag, in this context, is good free stuff.  Not low grade Mary Jane.  Ok, onto the contest:  Name the Author of this:

The Iron never lies to you. You can walk outside and listen to all kinds of talk, get told that you’re a god or a total bastard. The Iron will always kick you the real deal. The Iron is the great reference point, the all-knowing perspective giver. Always there like a beacon in the pitch black. I have found the Iron to be my greatest friend. It never freaks out on me, never runs. Friends may come and go. But two hundred pounds is always two hundred pounds.

Name it.  Post it to the comments.  And get some sssssssschwag.  Hell, I'll even mail it for all the international readers I gots me.